NEW JERSEY STATE BLUE/RED LIGHT LAW
Under NEW JERSEY STATE LAW, drivers of non-emergency vehicles shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid squad, or rescue squad displaying emergency warning lights as in the same manner as authorized (marked) emergency vehicles (N.J.S.A. 39:4-92).
What This Means:
When approached by a vehicle with a blue or red light........
- You MUST pull over to the side of the road close to the right-hand curb.
- Do not block any intersections.
- Do not follow emergency vehicles closer than 300 feet.
- Do not park closer than 200 feet.
- Failure to yield is punishable under New Jersey State Law as a Moving Violation