Lincroft First Aid and Rescue Squad History
Early in 1954, John B. Kelly saw the rising need in Lincroft of an ambulance service for its citizens. As a result of his foresight, the Lincroft First Aid and Rescue Squad came to pass. After a series of studies under the direction of a qualified Red Cross instructor, followed by examinations, the Squad was sanctioned. The memebers were authorized to tend to the needs of sick and injured. On August 16th, 1954, the Lincroft First Aid Squad was born.
When the Squad first started they had only the First Aid Shack, a small metal structure attached to the original Lincroft Fire Company building, and facing Rose St.
In 1963 the current building was dedicated in what is now a piece of historic Jerseyana at its finest. The dignitaries of Middletown were set up on a huge dais in the front yard; the building was wet down by the fire companies in attendance; residents lined both sides of Hurley's Lane; the Ladies Auxiliary and members manned the food tables and beer garden; and marching bands and drum fife and rifle corps performed out in the street with military precision!